Saturday, August 25, 2018

My silence is golden when appropriate (#3494)

     I am no shrinking violet, no frightened bullied coward, nor a lazy fool. I am as robust an individual who would speak out as there is. Often too much I suppose. But I always think that it is easier to apologize for being beyond the pale than to say nothing and let the con artists assume I don't care. I cannot think of much worse than to be someone else's puppet. Unfortunately too many of us fail to take our rightful duty to be engaged in the issues of our lives because we have found that others usually pick up our slack. Well the slack has grown too long and not enough of us are around to cover you any longer. So either quit being silent and/or disinterested in the happenings of the day or keep the status quo as it is and see the dissolution of our democracy as your legacy.
     However, there are times when silence is golden. Take for instance the current dilemma Jon McCain finds himself in. He has decided to stop cancer treatment and as such will soon find his life ending. Where my silence on this is golden is that I cannot but think of a few things politically, since he has been a politician most of his adult life, that I agreed with. Yet his career before politics showed him to be more than an honorable man who fought and defended his country with more than normal valor. So contrasting his remarkable service record with his deplorable political one leaves me in my silence while he is still alive. To me the old adage of "if you don't have anything nice to say about someone don't say anything at all" is closely applicable.
     Yet when he has passed I will come out like a torrent and fairly with objectivity define my silence in sot so subtle terms. But that will be then and for now a quiet respect for the end of his life will be observed. But as to the politics of the day there will not be any silence for if I was like too many now I would also be responsible for the trumps and selfish greedy republican party that has our democracy on the run. By not taking a side on the issues of the day we are allowing those who would lie, cheat and steal to frame our narrative less our voice. I am not one to let that happen as I scream from the top of my lungs that abdicating our rights within our democracy is worse than being poor. Nothing is more valuable than our right to define ourselves so stop letting others do that for you!

No comments: