Thursday, February 7, 2019

Integrity has a price (#3660)

     There can be no pride in oneself if there is no action to maintain one's integrity. It may be easy at times to follow through where integrity is concerned but what about the times when it is hard? How do we measure up to our own personal standards when the going gets rough or is too painful in some other way? The difference is always found when we calm ourselves and think about what is important. Balancing the scales of our principles with the scales of hardship can sometimes be difficult when the idea of doing the correct thing causes an adverse effect in it's doing. However, I have found that shirking a responsibility that needs to be followed through is much worse a psychological harm than any physical harm that would replace it.
     I know enough about logic to understand that trying to forget as a solution to absolving myself of not doing or keeping my own principles doesn't work. Always the better course is to own up to whatever it is and then put all effort into rectifying the outcome. If I am not the better man in my own mind then the failure I project is far worse for me than any immediate undeserved salve. I have my hopes and dreams along with my plans for making life around me simpler and I cannot dismiss any such instance in the name of convenience or expediency. I own my actions and my word is my bond, so any thought to diluting my integrity out of some fear or moral failure is unquestionably not to be borne.
     My integrity means little to anyone else but to me it is all I have that strengthens my resolve and gives me courage and strength to exemplify who I am and want to be. Gone are the days of cowering and hiding out. There is no honor in living a life unworthy of one's own principles. I often equate integrity with having a noble spirit that can be counted upon to be strong and unwavering. Even in my own little impoverished world I am only the King of it if I can live up to my own perception of integrity. So once again I am faced with a decision that has the roots of it squarely in my doing. I will do what is correct and live with the cost of my decision regardless of how much strain and stress I receive for my efforts.

No comments: