Wednesday, May 6, 2020

The month of May (#4113)

     In spite of the greater immediate threat to our society, the Covid-19 virus, the countdown continues until the election and trump is voted out. The month of May seemed like an eternity to me last fall when I was aching for time to pass by and we could get to the end of trump's appointed presidency. Well here we are now well into May and I am almost giddy if I could use that word in how I feel about the time left remaining that we have to endure. The wild card of course is the Covid-19 virus and it's deathly effect on our ill prepared less than logical citizenry. Not only the harm to them but to us whom they will infect.
     The other crisis which is not being headlined as much is the unemployment situation which republicans have concluded needs to dismiss the worries of the virus in favor of putting people in harm as they are forced back to work. I say forced because republicans are cutting funding for those who want to make a choice as to their health. It is either go to work or starve. Given this choice many will gamble on the work and put themselves at a much higher risk of contacting the virus. If we democrats had our way we would keep people at home and give them economic relief to do it. Yet we democrats are not in control which is another reason for the many of us to vote in less than 6 months for every democrat running for any office.
     Six months ago when I was still counting the days down hoping to get to under a year I was beginning to get that feeling of hope that I so cherish. Hope is what I have within me that is building as each day passes. Much like a long distance run, with each lap the end gets closer and the will to finish is increased. Such is my hope as we get closer to November 3rd. It won't be long before the month of May is behind us and in all my life I have never wanted time to fly by so fast. Even now at my older age I would gladly give all these days before November 3rd away if it meant we could vote today to end the appointed presidency of trump tonight.

No comments: