Tuesday, December 5, 2023

(#5420) I am now really done working full time

      I have given the official notice of leaving my full time job at the end of the month. My boss is good with that and his boss is good with that. Mainly because they both know that as an older man who is trying to do the work of a younger man the toll is getting beyond my ability to manage it. They get it and I am satisfied with my decision. At 68 the wear and tear of a lifetime of hard working jobs like, working on many framing crews, logging crews, and underground mining crews to name a few occupations has left a lot of aches and pains that I still feel to this day. For over the last 3 months I have endured these physical hurts and countered with lots of rest at home.
     Yet resting at home just so I can go back to work the next day and do it all over again has become a liability to all the other needs I have as responsibilities. I can only say that I gave it my best but nature has shown that my best is less than what I had hoped. So at the end of the month or even sooner given how I am going to be replaced I will go back to part time driving. With that I will still have a bit of an income but more time at my home to do my duties here. I will also be able to take some time to travel back up to the Seattle area in order to visit with people I would like to see in person again.
     I thought I had resolved this last month by staying on full time because of another issue but it seems that the effects of aging and gravity had other plans for me. As much as I hurt now and the new aches and pains still arriving I know that the next few weeks will be a lot less stressful for me because I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I will remember this year as my last stab to go back to who I was as a working man on a full time schedule as a reminder to my flexibility to change when change is needed. I needed to work this year for financial reasons and I did. Now I need to take more me time in order to heal up and enjoy life as it is for me and what the future may bring.
     

No comments: