Tuesday, October 30, 2018

7 days to go until we have a new congress (#3560)

     The time for a major change in the momentum of this coming election has passed. The steady march we democrats have made since November 8th, 2016 is finally going to end for a moment when we elect democrats as the majority in both the house and senate. Yes, the senate as well. The under polled surge in new voters, independent voters and frustrated republican voters for democrats will carry the day. I now expect a night similar to the one Canada experienced in 2015 where liberals at all levels of government swept to power. What cannot be lost in all this is the 100's of state house offices that will become democratic. I expect about 600 will go from being republican to democratic. The conventional model is for about 450 but I sense a larger turnout than the conventional model predicts.
     But it is just me here in my chair after these long weeks of frustration finally seeing the fruits of our labors against the trumps and their republican acolytes. I may be doing some wishful thinking here but our momentum if anything seems to be growing and with just 7 days left for the voting to come to a tally, there is very little that republicans can do to assuage it. If anything, knowing trumps he will actually exacerbate republican chances down the final stretch. he will take his carnival barking road show to Pittsburgh today to try to bask in some perverted glory while Jewish parishioners of the devastated synagogue mourn their murdered by a follower of trump principles. The irony is lost on trump and as his ignorance continues to deflate our nation while more anger to vote against him and his ilk grows.
     I am an optimist and so when the outcome of the 2016 general election became clear I hadn't felt such a gut punch since decades ago when I lost the heart of a woman I was dearly in love with. So being wrong is nothing new to me but this time there was no overconfidence nor superficial expectation. Nor has there been with many like minded souls like me who felt that sickening feeling from trumps being installed. But with grit and anger fueling our motivations the many of us fought back with the little leverage we had and forced the trumps to either align with us or feel the wrath of our vote this coming November 6th. Well in one week we will know but if anyone chooses to ask me here is what I say, get out and vote and then let the final day come and watch as our blue wave descends just where it should, on the heads of the republican party.

No comments: