Monday, August 24, 2020

71 days left until the election (#4223)

      71 days until the election but only 25 days until early voting starts in Minnesota and South Dakota. 25 days is just 3 and 1/2 weeks so get ready to have our plans together for how we are going to make our votes count. There will still be some judicial rulings coming to determine how difficult or easy our vote will be in certain parts of the country, but either way the Supreme Court decides, we have to be ready for the worst case scenario. I now won't believe that the Roberts court will side with those who want to restrict access to voting but I am not fully certain.
     If anything Roberts, the crucial swing vote, has been reluctant to destroy democracy in ways that are so easy to recognize. He is still a wildcard on this as he has in the past sided with his conservative majority to make voting harder but those cases in the past were more complex and left doors open for legislation that could have rectified things. These coming cases about voting are not complex they are out and out sabotage to our fundamental right to vote. So do not be surprised if Roberts decides that the trump administration has once again exceeded its authority and reverses restrictions. He may as well decide some issues with our postal service and that would be welcome as I expect he will stop the backdoor decommissioning in essence of our constitutionally protected postal service.
     Yet these are my opinions about the Supreme Court and although they will be helpful in making voting easier they are not for certain so let's keep our thinking focused on voting at all costs regardless of the difficulty. Again, this election is the most crucial election of my time and nothing will stop me from making sure my vote is counted. It isn't just me and others telling you to vote it is making sure your ballot gets to the election office without being lost or discounted. I know I still have 71 days left to post on this subject and it does get old even for me but that still doesn't stop the need for me to continue until we have elected every democrat on our ballots and they are counted in the total on election day.

No comments: