Monday, January 8, 2024

(#5454) A bittersweet post

      Two things are happening this evening. First I will be watching our Washington Husky football team try to win the national championship of college football. It has been 33 years since that last happened and may well happen again in not too many hours later today. Second I will be leaving Washington state where I have been for the last 11 days enjoying a short long overdue vacation. It is early this morning on this bittersweet day and I am kind of numb and full of emotion over both that are about to happen. As to my leaving there was a special attraction here from the memories of my past when I lived up here and the present that is hopeful with promise.
     The older I get, the closer I wish to be to the things that fill me with joy and contentment. I love my hometown of Sacramento and will not leave there to come back to the Seattle area unless ties there can be severed properly. A lot of work on my part must be done but I am settled on the idea that I will be coming back to Seattle for living out the rest of my life. Seattle with it's beauty and climate are a match made for me. The California central valley is perfect for the young at heart with access to all the outside wonders of mountains and bodies of water. But those are more appealing for the young who can explore and immerse themselves in the active wonders they provide.
     So today is the pivotal day that will include the culmination of a magical season by my alma mater and it's exceptional football team. Just an hour or two after the final score I will be setting out down the road to on my return trip to my house in Sacramento. I am hopeful for a sweet feeling of triumph for our team but I know I will feel the sorrow of leaving, when if I could I would rather not. Life goes on and so will I but just for today with the anticipation of our team doing well mixed in with not being here any longer will have me moving back and forth on the happy/sad spectrum. Tomorrow will bring about it's own experiences but for today I am acutely aware.

No comments: